In this episode, you’ll learn about developing a compensation philosophy on which you can build human resources and compensation systems that are in keeping with values of equity and justice. Consultant Mala Nagarajan sits down with host Rusty Stahl to talk about the ideas that undergird equitable salaries and benefits in social justice and social change workplaces.
Mala brings deep experience in nonprofit human resources through her work with Vega Mala Consulting and RoadMap Consulting. She is now developing resources specifically to help nonprofits establish compensation practices grounded in racial equity.
Throughout this conversation, we explore several of the Principles of Talent-Investing:
- Principle 1: Nonprofit People Are Awesome
- Principle 2: Nonprofit People are the Bedrock of Organizational Effectiveness
- Principle 4: Talent Justice is Essential and
- Principle 6: It Takes Significant Time and Money to Invest in the Nonprofit Workforce
To learn about all 8 Principles, listen to Season 3, Episode 1.
Resources from this Episode:
- Vega Mala Consulting’s Equitable Compensation Seminar Series
- RoadMap Consulting
- The Wages of Peace and Justice Report (2012 National Compensation Survey of Social Justice Organizations)
- Washington State Nonprofit Institute’s “Workers in Nonprofits” (WIN) Guide and Videos
- Netflix Culture Guide
- What’s Your Employer’s Philosophy: Work to Live or Live to Work? (Payscale)
- Consider Work Redesign to Close Talent Gaps (Society Human Resources Management)
- Why Defining Your Nonprofit’s Culture Will be the Most Important Thing you do this Year (Classy.org)
- Build a Culture that Aligns with People's Values (Harvard Business Review)
- Website: www.vegamala.com
- Email: email@example.com
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/malanagarajan/
- Twitter: twitter.com/VegaMala
- Instagram: instagram.com/vegamalaconsulting/
Mala Nagarajan is a senior HR consultant who works predominantly with small-to-midsize nonprofit organizations rooted in racial and social justice values. She is driven by a vision of strong organizations working collaboratively toward a common social purpose and approaches her HR work with a holistic, values-aligned, people-centered, and movement-oriented lens. Mala is a consultant with RoadMap, a national network of independent consultants who work with social justice organizations. As part of her RoadMap work, she helped organize the HR & RJ (racial justice) working group.
Mala has developed an innovative Compensation Equity Process and Calculator™ that works to reverse-engineer (white) supremacy out and re-engineer equity in. It’s a customized approach accompanied with a custom built management decision tool that organizations can use to shift from a market-based salary policy to an anti-racist model that centers those who live at the intersections of multiple marginalized communities.