Independent Sector (“IS”) is a national organization that represents the nonprofit sector in Washington. In this episode, Rusty speaks with Jeffrey Moore, its Chief Strategy Officer, about the importance of having a seat at the table with the federal government.
The nonprofit sector is the trusted infrastructure in communities, and also 10% of the private workforce in the country. To raise our visibility, and make sure that our government understands and partners with the nonprofit sector, IS has been working on a number of different fronts including: NIIAG (Nonprofit Infrastructure Investment Advocacy Groups), and a campaign to create an ‘Office on the Nonprofit Sector’ within the White House. Other topics discussed:
- Update on legislative bills: the Build Back Better Package and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Roads and Bridges Package.
- Raising the need to include the nonprofit workforce data in the Bureau of Labor Statistics report on a quarterly basis.
- Health of the Nonprofit Sector Report: a four part diagnostic of the sector.
This is the fifth episode in our podcast’s ongoing thread about how federal and local governments can invest in the nonprofit workforce. For more on this topic, see these other episodes in the thread:
- S1:E4 The Power of the Nonprofit Workforce - Dr. Lester Salamon
- S1:E5 Philanthropy & The President - host Rusty Stahl solo episode
- S1:E11 Inauguration Day Episode - Dan Cardinali, Independent Sector
- S2:E12 Transforming Government to Support the Nonprofit Workforce - Jennifer Geiling, NYC Mayor’s Office of Contract Services
Resources Mentioned in Episode:
- Draft Presidential Executive Order creating White House Office on the Nonprofit Sector
- Upswell (Independent Sector conference)**
- Jeff Moore’s Bio